Why High Visibility Clothing Is Important on the Worksite
Every individual who is working on or around a road construction site has a very important role to play when it comes to maintaining a secure and safe work area. The people working on the site as well as commuters and others passing through the area rely on the workers to keep the area safe. High visibility clothing, coupled with proper training and safety protocols can go a long way in keeping construction sites safe. Follow these tips to maximize your efforts:
- Always stay alert while around and in a work area. Caution signs and flashing lights are telling you to be alert and they apply to you and to commuters as well.
- When working in the confines of the construction area, you must keep you undivided attention to the task at hand, especially around road repair equipment.
- Minimize distractions and keep your eyes on what you are doing. There should be nothing else occupying your attention while operating machinery.
- Always obey posted signs, warnings, and alerts so that you are not adding to the potential for accidents or injuries to occur to you fellow workers or to passerby.
- Watch for changes in traffic flow and be careful with lane changes, especially in oversized road vehicles that might have limited visibility.
- Use extra caution when working at a site at night as the darkness makes visibility much harder and it is easier to be blinded by work lights and approaching cars.
Keep these safety tips in mind, maintain your equipment and vehicles, utilize high-visibility clothing, and you can be safe in any road work areas. Everyone is responsible for safety so make sure you do your part and make the work site the safest that it can possibly be. Your crew is counting on you and you owe it to them and to yourself to give them a safe working environment.